Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My child custody papers say my Ex is to pick up my daughter at school or by 4pm at my residence. He sometimes does not show till 8pm. This last weekend I had notified him we were going out of town at 6:30 pm and if she was not picked up we were taking her.

My question is how long do I HAVE to be available for him to pick up when he will not even give me a time he will be there?

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

I haven't read your order (you should READ YOUR ORDER), but it probably says you have to surrender the child to Dad at the beginning of each period of visitation. 4:00 pm is 4:00 pm; it's not 4:30, it's not 5:00 pm, and it's not 7:00 pm.

If I were you, I'd send him a letter (PAPER letter - no phone calls, text messages, or emails) and tell him that from now on, you won't wait past 4:15 for him to come pick up the child.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas