Texas  |  Family Law

I had a child two months ago and her dad has seen her four or five times since she was born he has contated me for any visits showing that he dosent care to see her but his parents have been trying to get her but I'm not comfortable with that situation because I barely know them to trust them so I was wondering what rights do they have over my child if the dad dosent care at all ?

Answered on: 7/11/13, 8:03 am by Fran Brochstein

I would urge you to meet in person with a family law attorney in your county. If you allow them to "establish a relationship" with your child and "bond" with the child, then you could be "opening" a door that you will later regret.

If the father of the child does not see the child, then why allow his parents to see the child?

If the father of the child is not paying child support, why allow his family any access to this child?

What is they "take" this child and refuse to return her? What will you do? I would not "trust" them. This is a baby that cannot talk for herself. What is they later claim that it's not your child? What if they later hide the child from you? I would not expect the local police to help you. They might not want to get involved. They might say it's a court matter & then you would have to hire an attorney to get your baby back!

Please talk to an attorney in your county and find out how the police handle these type of cases.

Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator 8978 Kirby Drive Houston, TX 77054