Texas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/23/13, 11:12 am

I have been in a common law marriage in Texas & used my retirement & pension to purchase some vehicles. We want to end the relationship my question is since this was my retirement/pension before I met him is he entitled to the vehicles? I thought only the items once we were together are community property. He has not worked at all so I have paid for everything.

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/23/13, 12:39 pm by Keith Engelke

Property acquired prior to marriage is separate property and cannot be divided upon divorce. Also property purchased during the marriage with separate property is not divisible upon divorce. However income from separate property during the marriage is generally considered to be community property and can be divided upon divorce. So you are entitled to one half of the portion of the cars purchased with income from your pension plan and all of the portion of the cars purchased with principle from the pension plan.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of S. Keith Engelke 2313 Lockhill Selma Road #224 San Antonio, TX 78230

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search