Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Common Law Marriage

For over a year I have been living with my fiance, and despite the fact we never called each other husband and wife, the community around us consider us as so. We never filled any papers, I never took his him, there is nothing on paper showing us as anything but living together. He has now moved out. There are no disputes over property, or finances. Do we need a divorce? I heard that after two years the marriage is absolved, does that mean without a divorce we are married for two years?

Asked on 12/06/07, 9:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Common Law Marriage

The 2 of you have to agree to be married. Just because some people thought you were married is not enough.

My sister lived with a guy for over 7 years and they were never married.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/07, 1:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now