Texas  |  Family Law

Custody

my 15 year old daugter wants to come live with me. she has talked to her mother about it and her mother insists she stay until her christmas break. i have joint custody and believe my daughter is old enough to make the choice. if i hire a lawyer how long would the court process take?if it is going to take 3-4 months to go through the system it would not be wise spend the money. her mother has already made threats of calling the police if my child leaves. i guess my question is 1. what are my rights in this, my x does have primary care. 2. typically how long would a civil matter like this take in court. also i have a concern of not doing anything and waiting untill x-mas and her mother changing her mind and i have to start from december with the whole process......thanks for your help and or advise in this matter

Answered on: 9/18/07, 4:02 pm by John Pfister, Jr.

Re: Custody

Depends on what county your case will be pending in. You should contact an attorney in the area that last issued an order in your case.

Pfister & Associates 2591 Dallas Parkway, Suite 505 Frisco, TX 75034

Answered on: 9/18/07, 4:06 pm by Theresa Langford

Re: Custody

I agree with Mr. Pfister. I also think that your final statements are most probable. If she is in agreement to a December move, then an attorney can prepare the Motion and proposed Order that she can sign. That way you have something to enforce in December. If she won't sign it, then your answer is that she wasn't going to agree anyway, and at least you are 3-4 months ahead.

Langford Law Firm 14683 Midway Road Suite 206 Addison, TX 75001