Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My divorce has been final for a little over a year. We were married 33 years, and he confessed to infidelity many times. He is remarried to a 24 year old he met on a mission trip. My question...He makes $140,000+/year. I am receiving alimony for 4 years at $30,000 and 4 years at $12,000 (a total of $168,000 over 8 years). He had a brand new car, and mine is 13 years old. He didn't want me working full time while we were married. I'm 59, and trying to find a job with decent compensation is not easy.

Can my divorce decree be amended or is it not worth the money and the effort? I'd like to receive additional alimony.

Asked on 3/19/13, 1:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Thirty days after the judge signed your Divorce Decree the court lost jurisdiction over your case. The matter is closed. I assume that you had an attorney representing you at the time. If you did not, then you should have hired an attorney. If you did, then you need to realize that life is just not fair and you need to make the best of an unfair situation. Of course, you are free to go back to your attorney and discuss this matter and see if the matter can be re-opened. Perhaps you can "guilt" him into giving you more money. However, I suspect that he will not give you many more money voluntarily.

I wish you only the best on your new life. I truly believe that you are on a new and wonderful journey, Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/23/13, 12:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now