Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

If my ex-wife and I agree on a amount of lump sum child support can she come back later and get more. In other words I want to give her 20,000$ to terminate child support. Our son is 10 say in 4 years when she has blown all the money can she come back and get child support reinstated.

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

I believe that she can.

I don't think that a court will punish a child if a parent spends all the money - especially if you make a lot of money.

The TX legislature just raised the maximum net month resource for the person paying the child support to $8,500 per month or approximately $1,700/month in child support payments for one child.

$1,700 x 12 - $20,400/year.

So I doubt that any judge is going to let you off with $20,000 lump sum payment to terminate child support.

If you won the lottery or received an inheritance, these assets would be considered by the court in calculating your child support. Every judge in TX would consider them -- change in circumstance.

Sorry!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas