Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My ex-wife has filed bankruptcy and listed me as a creditor (Child Support). My child support is paid through the Attorney Generals office. I was told by them that becasue she listed me as the creditor instead of the Texas Attorney Generals office that the child support will not become a part of the Bankruptcy (chapter 7) and that all payments and arreas will stay the same. Is this tru

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Bankruptcy won't affect the child support payments nor the arrearage, regardless of whom she lists as the "creditor." The amounts will stay the same, the payee will stay the same, and the AG can come after you for the arrearage without asking permission from the bankruptcy court.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas