Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I just found out I am the father of a 5 month old little girl. I took a paternity test purchased at Wal-Mart pharmacy, sent it off and it was confirmed. The mother is married and put her husband on the birth certificate. They are separated and he still wants to see this child as his own and I would like to know my first steps in getting my rights established as her biological father. I am in a stable relationship, have my own car, apartment and job.

Asked on 6/04/13, 12:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. Michael Ireland Ireland & Shum, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Go see an attorney. A child born of a marriage is presumed to be the child of the husband in the relationship. The presumption is rebuttable but you'll need an attorney -- a paternity test from Wal-Mart will not suffice.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/13, 1:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now