Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

my lawyer did not do his job

I hired a lawyer to take care of my divorce, but in 2002 i had started divorce proceedings but did not know that the divorce had been finalized. My current lawyer said that he would check to see if it had, before proceeding with this divorce proceeding, but he did not and now i found out that i have been divorced since august of 2002, but i am trying to get my money back that i gave him and he says i can not, but he did not do the check first before proceeding should i be able to get my money back, he did not do his job.

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Re: my lawyer did not do his job

Tough call. If you specifically paid him to investigate the prior proceedings, then I am curious why the subject never arose during the pendency of this divorce. A court could find that it was your responsibility to determine if you were divorced or not. The outcome will depend upon who has documentation of the facts.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas