Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am considering leaving my boyfriend of 10 years because I suspect he is cheating. We have lived together for 7 years and recently officially got engaged. When we bought our house, we put it under his name as well as all of our vehicles. If I leave, am I not entitled to anything because we are not married? I would like to know what rights I may have as far as division of assets. Thank you in advance for your help!

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

If your boyfriend does not agree to a amicable settlement, then you need to seek the services of a lawyer to get him to understand that just because an item is in his name, does not mean he is 100% owner. If you did not "gift" him with the items but there was an intention the items would belong to you both, then they belong to you both. There is a presumption everything that is in his name is his because you are not married, but you can sue for something like "unjust enrichment."

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas