Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

n 2010 my daughter had a child she was living w guy and his family and forsome stupid reason gave the child this guys last name even though she thought it could be someone elses child. he kicked her out then and then after months he wanted to see her and my daughter let him and he decided to keep her for a month and half and wouldn'tlet my daughter see her well she finally got her in her possesion and she brought her to me to watch and care for cuz her work schedule is really crazy right now and she wants her daughter on a regular schedule. my question is can i get temporary legal guardianship to just for the time being till her schedule changes so if need be i can make decision for grandaughters care if i cant reach my daughter,if so can i just get a form notarized instead of hiring a lawyer . Cant financially do that. thank you for any help u can provide me

Thomas Daley Power Daley PLLC

You can't get guardianship without an attorney and you can't get conservatorship without a court battle (probably). But in 2007 the Texas Legislature added a new section to the Family Code (Chapter 34) that addresses just this issue. Your daughter can sign a "Non Parent Relative Authorization Form." No lawyer required.

There is a free form put out by the state at the link below. Follow the instructions *E*X*A*C*T*L*Y* as they are printed and you should be fine.

You're a blessing in this baby's life!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Application/Forms/showFile.aspx?NAME=2638.pdf&ei=5Pg4Uaq0BYO92gW5joDgCA&usg=AFQjCNGLb3UQskzryhFvAHSxVR7GE1iM2g

If that monster link doesn't work, go to Google and type in "Texas Nonparent Relative Authorization Agreement" and select the form put out by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. (First search result when I did it.)

Good luck!!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas