Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I have been paying child support (both arrearages and penalties that were outrageous) for 9 years now. The arrearages are satisfied and all of the balance is interest. My son is 23 and living in California after attending Yale! Now he's working to get into the music business. His mother lives in Houston now after her third divorce and still collects the $600 a month garnished from my Texas High School teaching wages! I will be 60 in a few years when it will be paid off. She has been a flight attendant with Delta for 30 years.

I'm exhausted in my finances and need to be looking toward funds for retiring. We have talked to a couple of attorneys and they both say do the paperwork yourself, present it to the court and ask for the remainder to be dismissed since I have paid faithfully for the past 9 years. "Don't go in with an attorney." They automatically think if you hire and attorney that you've got money, just pay off what you owe! I do not know the first thing about these procedures and I feel defeated and just quit trying. My finance are awful and I'm on the verge of losing my home. What is your best suggestion. Thank you.

Asked on 3/19/13, 7:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Call Patricia Bushman at 713-807-9405. I rent space in her office. Her first appointment is free. Take her all your paperwork and let her look at it. She takes payment plans.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/23/13, 12:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now