Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Reopening divorce case

I have an excellent basis for reopen a horrific divorce case. However, I now reside in Fla and divorce was decreed in Amar, Tx. Do I have to obtain Texas legal counsel? If so, can my attorney be from another part of Tx? likewise, does the case have to be heard in its original city/state, Amar? thanks, (=

Asked on 3/31/09, 11:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Matlock Robert J. Matlock, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Reopening divorce case

There are very few ways to reopen a divorce case if the issues are related to property. If there are issues related to children, the divorce orders can be changed if the circumstances have changed since the date of divorce.

You can hire a lawyer from any part of Texas to handle the case. However, it is usually a good idea to hire a lawyer who is familiar with the judges and local court rules.

You need to initiate your suit in the court that entered the divorce orders.

I suggest you consult with a Texas lawyer to determine whether you have grounds to reopen the divorce case - it depends upon the facts of the particular case.

Read more
Answered on 3/31/09, 11:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now