Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

In Texas, my sons biological father and I agreed that he would sign over his rights. Do I have to be married in order for him to do so?

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

You have not given much information to answer this question & you ask a very complex question.

Generally the TX courts do not like to terminate parental rights. They judges take this extremely seriously.

They like for there to be a "new daddy" in the wings to step into the shoes of "daddy". Otherwise, if you die then your child will be an orphan. No judge wants your child to be a potential orphan.

Termination is complex. You need an attorney to help you. I would encourage you to hire an attorney off this website or off www.avvo.com. Many offer free consultations and payment plans.

I would suggest that you talk to the attorney that I rent office space from --

Patricia Bushman at 713-807-9405

She has a newly licensed associate - Donnica Blackful that is very nice & friendly

Give them and call and talk to them - her first appointment is free & she takes payment plans!

Good luck!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas