Legal Question in Medical Leave in Texas

Dying Parent

I had to go to court in another state (GA) to acquire emergency guardianship for my dying father. I made 2 trips and total of 9 days away from work.( Funeral arrangement included) My employer deducted sick days and vacation days and did not pay me for three days. What are my rights? It is a privately owned company with 16 employees. I am a full time employee with benefits.( 2 Yrs)

Roger Evans Mathis & Donheiser

Re: Dying Parent

You do not have any rights to payment unless it is a written company policy. The law does not provide you with any additional recourse. Even if your company met the requirements for FMLA (among other things, 50 or more employees), you are still not entitled to payment of salary or other compensation for days you don't work unless they are vacation or sick days.

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in Texas

Family Medical Leave Act Legal Forms