Legal Question in Medical Leave in Texas

Maternity Leave

I am 34 weeks pregnant and currently working at a pretty bad place. I've been there for 3 years and have been ''used and abused''. I work long hours and I have not been compensated for my efforts. I do not like my workplace or employers, I looked for a new job and got a job offer at the exact same time I found out I was pg. Needless to say, I didn't think it would be wise or fair to accept a new job w/ a baby on the way.

I really do not plan on returning to my current workplace, but I cannot afford to tell them and risk not getting the benefits (insurance & pay). My employer does not have maternity leave, but I am forced to use my vacation and sick days (8 weeks). If I return for a week or so and then turn in my two weeks notice would I be at risk for being sued for medical benefits or paid leave?

Donald McLeaish McLeaish&Associates;, P.C.

Re: Maternity Leave

They would be foolish to sue you but may. If you are abused by sexual harassment, why not report to EEOC? If they retaliate, you have a great case...but unless you mean you are abused by having to work hard..no case. And long hours imply no overtime..a claim for that is under FLSA..

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in Texas

Family Medical Leave Act Legal Forms