Texas  |  Personal Injury

Auto accident, need to know about judgement caps & enforcement for judgements.

On 7.11.05 my husband and I were in an auto accident that totalled our car. Our auto insurance paid off our car, but I lost my job and have had physical therapy and electro stimulation, and a steroid injection in my back for a herniated disk and problems with my hips. None of the treatments have done anything to help, and I constantly take pain medication - I am miserable all the time and my family is suffering.

We have a lawyer, but he is giving us the run-around on ballpark $$$ figures. Our health insurance wants to be paid back, and our bills total over $30,000. so far. My husband has soft-tissue damage, but I am seriously injured. My life has been completely changed by this and I cannot do 80-90% of what I used to do.

Our UnderIns. Motorist combined with the girl who hit us insurance combined is $75,000. What happens if that isn't enough to compensate for everything? If we go to trial and win a larger judgement than her insurance will cover, what happens?

I know that we could sue for more, but that doesn't mean we'll get it. Are judgements against ins. companies enforced? I am not sueing for millions of $$$, but I want to be sure that all is taken care of in case I cannot work again.

Thank you.