Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

My child was bitten by our neighbors dog and is receiving medical treatment. The neighbor has verbally agreed to pay medical costs but I have nothing in writing saying such.

What legal form can I use to document that the neighbor agrees to cover medical costs?

Asked on 12/21/12, 9:15 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Parker Polan Briggle & Polan, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should consult with a personal injury attorney. The dog owner's homeowner's insurance policy should cover the damages.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/12, 9:23 am
Ken Gober (Austin TX) Lee, Gober & Reyna
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your neighbor has homeowners or renter's insurance, then the dog bite should be covered by that insurance policy.

There is more to you child's injury than just your out of pocket medical expenses, including any potential for scar, pain, mental anguish, etc..

Of course the goal is to try to make your child "whole", nothing can take the dog bite away, but your child has suffered more that medical bills.

It is not "un-neighborly" to make a claim against your neighbor's insurance policy. In fact, in making the claim against the insurance policy, your neighbor won't have to pay you anything out of pocket.

My best advice is to speak with a Texas Personal Injury Lawyer that handles dog bite cases.

I represent clients in dog bite cases across the State of Texas and am happy to offer a free phone consultation: 512-478-8080. And as always, my office does not charge a fee unless we are able to recover for our client.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/12, 9:31 am
Donald McLeaish McLeaish&Associates;, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

all comments are correct...hopefully neighbor had homeowner's insurance..we have settled many such if we can help 9722984641

Read more
Answered on 12/21/12, 10:50 am
Roger Merrill Merrill & Associates
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your neighbor reneges, you can on behalf of your son sue him for your son's damages. If there's no homeowner's insurance, then you might have difficulty collecting any $. You may also have difficulty proving your neighbor liable. I don't know the circumstances surrounding how he came to be bitten; so it's hard to say whether your claim is strong or weak. You could sue for the breach of the promise too. In the end it all comes down to whether you can collect the $.

At this point, you may not want to have a signed legal agreement. It might be better to wait to see if he'll pay as promised.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/12, 6:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now