Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Texas

How to Change Ownership?

I have recently inherited a house and property for which I dont have ownership papers. My mother purchased the property from an individual. All I have is the original earnest money contract/seller financing contract and a warranty deed with vendors lein that has become absolute. The first problem is my mother has recently passed away, I am the sole heir to her estate, there was no will. The second problem is my mother never had ownership changed into her name, in other words she never applied or received a deed. I need to know how to go about getting ownership of this property changed to my name. I have paid taxes for this property for the current year and I have all of the tax reciepts from the years in which my mother paid the taxes. What steps do I need to take, to get this done?

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

Re: How to Change Ownership?

This would be a several step process. First, you'll need to contact the title company and ensure that everything was done properly in the underlying closing. Then, contact the county clerk and double check the ownership and tax roll information. After that, you can file necessary papers to either probate your mother's estate, or if no administration is necessary, clear title to her property. The latter will require an analysis of the mother's estate (debts, other property, etc.)

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Texas