Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Texas

How to Change Ownership?

I have recently inherited a house and property for which I dont have ownership papers. My mother purchased the property from an individual. All I have is the original earnest money contract/seller financing contract and a warranty deed with vendors lein that has become absolute. The first problem is my mother has recently passed away, I am the sole heir to her estate, there was no will. The second problem is my mother never had ownership changed into her name, in other words she never applied or received a deed. I need to know how to go about getting ownership of this property changed to my name. I have paid taxes for this property for the current year and I have all of the tax reciepts from the years in which my mother paid the taxes. What steps do I need to take, to get this done?

Asked on 3/28/05, 12:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: How to Change Ownership?

This would be a several step process. First, you'll need to contact the title company and ensure that everything was done properly in the underlying closing. Then, contact the county clerk and double check the ownership and tax roll information. After that, you can file necessary papers to either probate your mother's estate, or if no administration is necessary, clear title to her property. The latter will require an analysis of the mother's estate (debts, other property, etc.)

Read more
Answered on 3/29/05, 12:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now