Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Texas

My girlfriend and I purchased a house together in January of 2013. Needless to say, it did not work out between the two of us- she moved out and I am living in the house. At this time, there is no hard feelings between us and she acknowledges that the house is indeed mine even though her name is on the mortgage.

My questions is this: is there some sort of legal document that she can sign that relinquishes her rights on the house WITHOUT refinancing? (i cannot afford to refi at this time.

Asked on 9/26/13, 3:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Not really. She will always be on the loan until you pay off the mortgage or refinance. You can remove her from the title with a warranty deed. You may need permission from the bank first. Although there are no hard feelings now, wait until she tries to buy a house of her own and can't because her name is on this mortgage. (Or, wait until you're late on a payment and it negatively impacts her credit score.)

Best bet is to refinance soon.

For more information, please visit our website:

Also, please read our disclaimer:

Read more
Answered on 9/26/13, 3:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now