Legal Question in Social Security Law in Texas

I once was a Texas teacher. I withdrew my teacher retirement in 2000. I was in my 40s, and have not been a teacher since. I had to live on that money. Now, it is gone. In 6 years, when my husband collects social security, will I be able to collect it, also, even though I have no social security money in my account? And, if my husband died, would I be eligible to receive survivor benefits?

Asked on 6/28/13, 1:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Kielich The Kielich Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you paid into the teacher retirement system and chose not to pay social security taxes to accrue a social security benefit then you would not be entitled to social security benefits upon your retirement or your husband's retirement. If you have worked at a job since you retired from teaching you may have accrued a new social security benefit.

If your husband predeceases you then you may be eligible for survivor benefits.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 11:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now