Texas  |  Veterans Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/25/03, 5:05 pm

New and Material Information

My husband applied for Veterans Disability approximately 15 years ago while still in service and was denied based on a preexisting condition. Unfortunately, at the time his missed the appeal process as he did not know of the need to refile at discharge. Many attempts later, he finally discovered his old doctor's records from before his service which show he was never diagnosed with the supposed ''pre-existing'' condition. He recently attempted to submit this information to reopen the case along with a claim for a separate back injury. The gave him a physical and eventually approved 10% for the new submission but never addressed the alledged pre-existing condition. Is there any way to reopen the old case and show that the decision made 15 years ago was made without basis?

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/26/03, 8:41 am by Patrick Tracy

Re: New and Material Information

Yes, Just reapply for the claim on the basis of new and material evidence. The VARO has a duty to investigate a new claim based on new and material evidence. Go to the DAV or the VFW offices in your area. They will be able to assist you to develop your claim.

Good Luck!!!

Patrick Tracy

101st Airbone Div. (Ambl)



Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Patrick J. Tracy, Esq, P.E., P.O. Box 93 Garrett Park, MD 20896

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search