United States Minor Outlying Islands  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/14/09, 6:51 pm

legally obtaining inheritance

My grandparents left me a large sum

of money when they died. Because I

was not old enough to manage it at

the time, my mother took custody of

it. When I turned 18 she forced me

to sign custody to her for her to

manage it while I was in college. Now

I am 21 and it is time my mother

and I go our separate ways but she

refuses to sign the money back over

to me saying that I will waste it and

do not deserve it. She was never in

my grandparents will at all because

they disliked her. What can I do to

get my money back in order to move

on with my life? My account is

currently under her name as a

custodian at Fidelity Investments. If I

write a check out of this account to

myself can she come after me legally

since it is under her name but legally

belonging to me? She claims that she

is entitled to keep it because I owe

her money for her choosing to pay

for my college? Is this true?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search