Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Utah

in 2003 I bought a ford focus from ford in california. I got married and deployed to Iraq in 2004. in 2005 after I returned I started going through a divorce and did a voluntary repossession on my car around October 2005 and I moved back to my home state of utah. today I received a letter from an attorneys office in Newport beach California claiming ford has just won a judgment against me on this car loan. they are threatening my wages and bank account. I still live in Utah. is there a statute of limitations on a written contract that is not being followed. and how the date set for the start of statute of limitations. I know California is 4 years on a written contract and Utah is 6 years. any help or suggestions. on my credit report it shows as a charge off.

Asked on 7/02/13, 8:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A charge off does not mean that the debt cannot be collected. You seek to have the judgment set aside when the Ca attorneys attempt to get it registered in Utah if you were not served in Ca. If you are successful then the Ca attorneys have to refile to get a judgment valid here. The statute of limitations begins at default, but getting a judgment avoids the statute of limitations, and then there is a new statute to collect on the judgment.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 7:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Utah

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now