Legal Question in Family Law in Utah

if my husband has moved out of the house and been gone for 3 weeks. he carries a gun has potential ptsd. can I legally change the locks for my and childrens saftey if he is on the mortgage and mskes allthe payments

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Yes. If he has moved out, you may change the locks on the home. However, please keep in mind that he may legally call a locksmith to have them assist him in gaining entry into the home since it is still his home and there's no court order giving you or him the exclusive use and occupancy of the home. If you believe/feel that divorce is inevitable, you should file a divorce petition as soon as possible as well as a motion for temporary orders regarding custody of the child, child support, and possession of the home. I offer a free consultation should you wish to meet with me to discuss this situation further. My telephone number is (801) 274-3100. Thank you, Cory R. Wall

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Utah