Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Utah

My brother died 20 years ago leaving me the last living member of the immediate family. Now my nephew says he owns his dads half of the estate. there was no will from my brother. Does he have any legal right to the estate? He says he is going to sue me for his half. can he sue me? please advise me. thanks Bill

Asked on 10/30/13, 9:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randy Lish Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In Utah, when an individual dies, his share of the estate will pass to the spouse, if there is one. If there is no surviving spouse, then it goes to the deceased individual's children. Only if there are no lineal descendants will the estate pass to a sibling. Accordingly, your nephew is correct. If there is no will, the estate will have to go through an intestate probate so title can be transferred to the nephew.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/13, 9:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Utah

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now