Virginia  |  Civil Litigation

I was fired from employment after 15 years with the same company in September 2010. I went to work for a competitor of that company in October 2010. In January, 2011, I learned that the new president of my old employer was making slanderous statements about me to people in our industry.

If I wanted to file a slander suit, can I subpoena the people who heard these statements, even though I did not hear them personally, only secondhand?Would I have a slander suit against this person?

I know I have a one year statute of limitations from the date of injury in January 2011, so I need an answer quickly...thank you for your time...

Answered on: 1/07/12, 4:05 pm by Jonathon Moseley

Yes, you can file a lawsuit alleging that "On information and belief" the president said XYZ or something like it.

You can then subpoena those people and find out what they actually heard.

It is better to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out and then amend the lawsuit as needed.

Moseley & Associates Law Firm 1818 Library Street, Suite 500 Reston, VA 20190