Virginia  |  Credit and Debt Law

A person received a judgement against me a few months back. i received a letter in the mail from the attorney for this person. i have to go to court and answer interogatories and the attorney also wants me to mail to his office before hand copies of bank statements, birth certificate, drivers license, any licenses i hold, w-2's, taxes, etc.

i dont have a problem providing my previous tax returns, as for bank statements i do not have a bank account and i do not feel comftorable giving up my birth certificate or drivers license. do i have to send him this information?

Answered on: 12/05/10, 8:41 am by Daniel Press

Bring it and argue to the judge that you shouldn't have to provide it. The drivers license or another form of ID may be considered relevant at least for the purpose of verifying that you are indeed the right person showing up, but I can't see why a birth certificate could possibly be relevant.

Chung & Press, P.C. 24 Greene St. Cumberland, MD 21502