Legal Question in Disability Law in Virginia

I just accepted a job offer in VA and I've been asked to get a "note" from my doctor to confirm I can "work" while on a prescription medication I've utilized without incident since 2005. The occupational health nurse stated that they needed to know I wouldn't be "sleepy" but I've long since normalized on this medication and it is a "maintenance dose". My issue is the RN stated I CANNOT BEGIN ORIENTATION until the doctor note is received. I've been unemployed since 2012 and it COSTS MONEY to get a form signed by the doctor. Is this legal? Can she require a note from my doctor when I am working in a position where I DO NOT DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TALK for the position?

This medication is required to treat a disability called Arnold Chiari Malformation I and I underwent brain surgery to correct the malformation but it only assists the malformation it CANNOT be corrected thus I will deal with the side effects for years to come.

Thanks.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

I can see nothing illegal in your new employer requiring you

to secure the note you've described from your doctor before allowing

you to begin work.

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Virginia

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA