Virginia  |  Appeals and Writs

Four people commit insurance fraud should one person be responsible for total pay back

Answered on: 10/22/13, 7:33 am by Sam Moore

It depends on the specific facts and circumstances of the case--I know that is probably not what you were hoping to hear. You should probably set up a consultation with a local attorney to have a confidential discussion of the specific facts in your situation.

Law Office of Samuel C. Moore, PLLC 815 King St. Alexandria, VA 22314

Answered on: 10/22/13, 12:32 pm by Edward Hoffman

I agree with Mr. Moore.

Note that, when two or more people jointly do something wrongful, they will often be held jointly and severally liable as a result. That means the plaintiff can demand that any one of them pay the entire amount. If the first one can't pay the entire amount, the plaintiff can seek what remains from any of the others.

The law allows this because otherwise the plaintiff would have to work too hard to recover his damages from the people who already victimized him. It is more just to make the wrongdoers work out their respective shares amongst themselves than to make the victim deal with that issue.

Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman 11755 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1250 Los Angeles, CA 90025