Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Virginia

Selling my home before filing for bankruptcy

I am a separated female with a small child in virginia. Last week I spoke to a bankruptcy lawyer about the options for filing bankruptcy. I have not officially hired an attorney yet. I am pretty sure that i am going to file. I want to know if selling my home could have an effect on my petition to file bankrupcty. I don't want to do anything that would look fraudulent. I am trying to reduce my expenses and selling my home would help me a great deal.

Asked on 7/05/01, 1:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tommy Andrews, Jr. Tommy Andrews, Jr., PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Selling my home before filing for bankruptcy

If you are going to net a gain by selling the house the sale prior to filing a Chapter 7 may become a problem. Issues concerning a house and bankruptcy are very fact intensive. TTA

Read more
Answered on 7/09/01, 10:11 pm
Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Selling my home before filing for bankruptcy

Discuss this with the lawyer you intend to hire (and retain counsel now, whether or not you intend to file immediately). If that lawyer is not to your liking, there are lots of us bankruptcy lawyers out here. It may make sense to wait until after you file bankruptcy to sell the house, or it may be best to sell first, depending on the circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/01, 5:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now