Virginia  |  Business Law

Non Compete & Undue Harship

I am a dance teacher in Virginia who signed a contract that has a non-compete clause that restricts me for 36 months within 20 miles of the company. Does this contract create undue hardship because I received a degree in dance and teaching is my livelihood? If not, how do I get around it? I want to teach again, and I don't want to have to drive 25 miles away to do it!! Please advise me...

The contract specifically says I may not ''own, manage, operate, join, control, finance, or participate in the ownership, management, operation, control or financing of, or be connect as an officer, director, employee, partner, principal, or use or permit Employee's name to be used in connection with, any business of enterprise which is competitively engaged in the same type of business conducted by Company and is located or conducts business in or within 20 miles of Company's place of business at all locations.''