Virginia  |  Credit and Debt Law

charged off account

I recently found out that I have a charged off account with Dell Financial. Approximately 4 years ago I began working a job as the assistant director of the school. The school had just been established with a company funding it. We had ordered a number of computers from Dell for the business to be used at the place of business. My name and address on the mailing package and invoice was my name and the business. This occurred in 2003. Approximately 5 months ago I got a phone call from a collections agency telling me that I owed 1,700 for the computer. I went through a series of conversations with a number of people at this agency. I told them the circumstance and they informed me to go ahead and pay it and then get with the company. I refused so I asked them how I could dispute this charge. They told me to write a letter, which I did. I then got one more phone call and was told to pay it or the next step would be taken.

I was furious and refused until I saw proof of what they claimed I had. Nothing was produced. So, the next thing I know, I have a charged off account on my credit report.

I plan to buy a house in the next year and I am very concerned about this. What are my options at this point?