Virginia  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/24/12, 9:42 am

If a judgement was filed by a corporation (BB&T) and judgment is then satisfied but the corporation does not correctly release the judgement (sending the correct information I.E. correct name) to the court system when all other information was correctly filed when submitting complaint to the courts. Would there be a legal recourse for me against the corporation. The judgement was satisfied oct 2011 and has been released improperly and still shows and unsatisfied on the courts public record.

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/04/12, 8:08 pm by Jonathon Moseley

Yes, there is a special procedure for this, established by statute. You can file a motion (use the original case names, plaintiff and defendant, and case number) demanding that the creditor mark the judgment as paid, techincally filing a Notice of Satisfaction. You may even be able to get a penalty out of them for failing to mark it paid, I think up to $50

I would have to look up the statute again. If you have any trouble, contact me.

However,I note that you are far away from me here, so I couldn't do it directly -- it's too far.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Moseley & Associates Law Firm 1818 Library Street, Suite 500 Reston, VA 20190

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search