Virginia  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/20/12, 8:32 am

a tenant sued for mold damage, and since we did not have a clause in the lease to protect us, the judge ruled in favor of the tenant. We were not aware that this went on our credit report as a bad thing. We paid the tenant directly with 4 installment certified checks, but they did not report it to the court as paid, so it's still on our credit report as a bad thing. We went to the courthouse, with copies of payment, but they would do nothing to help us. We mailed a letter with copies of the payments to the credit report people, still they refused to help. What can we do to get this to show on our credit report(s) as resolved?

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/20/12, 8:57 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

If a judgment was rendered against you and the tenant refuses to

sign a release/satisfaction of such judgment, you should be able to petition for a hearing on the matter in the court which granted the judgment and

upon a showing of credible proof of payment, ask the judge to enter an order showing that the judgment has been satisfied and which should then be

reflected in the court's judgment lien database.

A copy of this order with a brief letter of explanation could then

be sent to each of the major credit reporting agencies.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search