Virginia  |  Criminal Law

I attended a party in a hotel room for a friend's birthday in Hampton, VA a week ago. Today i was questioned by a cop because my "name was mentioned" in connection to the event. He asked who rented the room and wrote it down. He asked if there was alcohol, which there was, and if I had been drinking. I was honest and I told him that there was alcohol and I had a drink early in the night but wasn't intoxicated. He then asked other questions about driving. He said there were complaints and that the room was left a mess. He took my information and said that I could get charged with underage possession of alcohol. However, although he said there were complaints, no one from the hotel or the police, came to the room that night. There weren't any containers left in the room either. So how can they validly charge anyone without any evidence of the alcohol being there and without seeing, talking to, or breathlyzing anyone? Everything they know is by word of mouth. Can I be lawfully charged?

Answered on: 1/17/13, 9:07 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

Well, it would appear that the cops could get at least one of this crowd

successfully charged, namely YOU based upon your most ill-advised confession to one of the crimes alleged, namely, underage possession of alcohol(by way of consumption).

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314