Legal Question in DUI Law in Virginia

My spouse and I are recently separated in SC. We are uncontested and no minor children. SC has a 1 year separation requirement before filing for divorce. I am moving to VA where the requirement is 6 months separation and 6 months residency. Will VA recognize a Dominican Republic divorce and does the 6 month residency requirement still stand?

Asked on 10/27/12, 1:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A divorce received in the Dominican Republic could later prove problematical

not only in the Commonwealth but also in other states (in my opinion).

Consequently, you would be well advised to start over and file in Virginia once you have met the six month residency requirement.

Read more
Answered on 10/27/12, 1:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now