Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Child's Name Change

My ex wife has sole custody( legal and physical) of our 6 year old son with myself having visitation. She wants to have his name legally changed. Since she has sole custody is this something she can do without my knowledge or consent. Would she have to give me notice? And is this something that I can contest since I do not agree.

Asked on 9/27/08, 1:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beard Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child's Name Change

To change your child's name, your ex-wife needs to file a petition in the circuit court in which she and the child reside. She is required to give you notice, and you have the right to appear and object.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/08, 1:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now