Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/20/01, 7:32 pm


I live in MD and currently have full custody of my son (15 yrs old). I have chosen for him to spend a year living with his dad and going to school there, in Virgina.

I am being told that he needs to have legal custody to register him for school. The school in VA tells me (vaguely) that we can have joint custody and permission from me.

We are not sure it is going to work out for my son in VA and don't want to change our custody arrangements every time we change his school.

Is there any way that I can keep sole custody of my son (legally) and give (legal) permission for him to attend school for the year in VA? Can I grant his father temporary custody? Can I get a legal document giving him permission to make sole decisions for my son while he is living there?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search