Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Can I get a divorce here?

Is it possible for a noncitizen to obtain a divorce in the USA? I am a student and I have a work permit. I have not lived with my spouse since 1996. We had a Christian church marriage in India. Can I divorce here in the states?

Asked on 7/30/01, 8:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa Lane McDevitt McDevitt Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Can I get a divorce here?

Yes, it is possible for you to divorce here. A divorce in the US will affect your martial status in the states, however, I am not sure of the legal effect such a divorce would have in India. It may be something you want to check into. Nevertheless you are entitled to file for divorce in the US.

If you have any questions give my VA office a call at 703-968-3974.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/01, 3:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now