Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Can I legally leave the father of my child off of the birth certificate and, if so, will this give me sole custody of my child? If I get sole custody, can I still request child support?

Asked on 1/25/12, 6:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, depending upon the policy of the hospital handling your maternity care, you may be able to leave the name of the father off the child's birth certificate, but that in no way will assure that you will have sole custody of the subject child should the matter of custody be contested.

And, yes, once paternity is legally established for this child, you will be

legally entitled to pursue child support from the father irrespective of whether or not you've been awarded sole custody.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/12, 8:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now