Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/09/05, 1:29 pm

marital home of disabled spouse

Iminent divorce, I am disabled ,have had full residence and responsibility of the marital home since estranged wife left 21 months ago. She now wants to begin proceedure of divorce and is attemping property seyylement ''demands'' one of which is to take the marital home completely leaving me to find other housing. home is paid for with the exception of a home equity line of credit which I borrow on and repay with part of my SSDI. She wants it all and has had her attorney go so far as to write in a letter to my attorney that ''given mr.---'s state of disabilty and the inabilty or liklihood of him ever having the economic means to secure the marital home, it would be in his best interest to give it up''. I do not agree. I built this home and had it paid for in the first 10 years of the 30 year marriage. It is the last home that I myself can ever physically build. I only want to be left alone. There are no children involved. She is gainfully employed $40,000/year, and stands to inherit property in Pa.(well over 40 acres with oil wells). Do you have any advice?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search