Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Can a motion to change venue to a different county which states the reason "In order to change child support" be counted as an existing petition for retroactive calculation of child support? I had to madatory retire from the Navy due to failing to select for LCDR a second time. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and the court with juristiciton is in Fredrecksburg, VA. I put in a motion to change venue in order to reduce child support until I could find another job. I put the motion in on 10 Feb '11 and it was denied in April. I put in a motion to reduce child support in May '11. What I want to know is can the court count the motion to change venue as the date for retroactive calculation of support?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

No, not if it was denied.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia