Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

non court ordered child support

if someone has paid non court ordered child support for 9 years and suddenly comes upon financial problems, what can the custodial parent do? it was agreed that support would pick up when finances were better and has since continued to pay but now there has been the threat because of the months that have not been paid. another problem is that the child does not get to visit the other parent as agreed upon which was to be every other weekend for the entire weekend. even when the child does come to visit it is on average 1 time a month and usually not more than a 24 hour time period. this has been the case since the child was an infant. please help

Asked on 11/17/06, 8:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: non court ordered child support

The issue of visitation has no legal connection whatsoever or relevance to the payment(or nonpayment) of child support.

There can likely be no enforceable arrearages for the period in which no support was paid under the circumstances which you've described.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/06, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now