Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I have permanent legal custody of a non biological child, he has been with me for 5 years,there has been only one attempt at contact by birth mother, father unknown, and all visitation rights were removed by Judge, is it possible to adopt the child

Asked on 9/09/13, 5:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, should be possible under the facts described but would suggest

that you arrange for a consultation on this matter with a Virginia attorney

who handles adoption cases in the Commonwealth and who can further

advise you on your particular situation.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 9:50 pm
Paul B. Ward Law Offices of Paul B. Ward
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is a hign degree of probability that you will be able to adopt the child, especially since the mother's visitation rights were terminated. If you know the mother's address, she will have to be given notice; if you do not know her present the intent to adopt will have to be published in a local newspaper before the adoption can be made final by a judge.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/13, 7:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now