Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/12/12, 4:10 pm

I have recently moved from Arkansas to Virginia, with my child. My exhusband hasn't paid child support in over nine months. Can I file to terminate his rights in Virginia, or do I have to file in Arkansas? (The child was born in Arkansas and both marriage and divorce took place there.)

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/12/12, 4:24 pm by Robert Beard

I do not know if you can have his parental rights terminated in Arkansas, but the only way you can have his rights terminated in Virginia would be to remarry and be granted a step-parent adoption.

You can file for support enforcement through an interstate proceeding.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney at Law 219 East Davis Street, Suite 350 Culpeper, VA 22701-3013

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search