Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Signing over parental rights

I was wondering how I could get my son's father to sign over his rights to my son. I have sole custody and my son hasn't seen him in over a year. I don't get child support yet. He's going to court for all that now. But I don't want it and I don't want him in my son's life at all.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Signing over parental rights

A parent does not simply "sign over" his or her rights to a child and have the parent's rights terminated in the Commonwealth unless there is another person(such as with a step-parent adoption) or institution which is available to act, if not directly in that parent's stead, then, generally, in the place of such parent(in loco parentis).

And, furthermore, all such issues must be handled under the auspices of a Virginia Court of proper jurisdiction and disposed of with a final order in the matter.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia