Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I had a stroke and then a seizure after giving birth a few weeks ago I just got out of the hospital and had to leave Virginia to go back home to Ohio for 2 weeks so I can get help from my family to heal. I am not married to the babies father and he is wanting paternity testing right away and going for full custody will I get in trouble if I can't show due to my health? I will be back in 2 weeks is there someone I should give notice to so I can let them know what's going on and why I won't be able to make it.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

This putative father will have to await your return in good time since in the absence of a court order he has no way to immediately require a paternity test and to hasten your return to the Commonwealth from Ohio. And, furthermore, If he requests a paternity test through the local J&DR;Court, it will take several months at least in all probability to schedule such a hearing on this matter which should give you plenty of time to return to Virginia.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia