Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Should an unmarried couple give a newborn child the father's last name, and what are the legal details of that. The parents live together, however there is no immediate plan for marriage.

Asked on 11/11/13, 7:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably, not a good idea at this stage in matters (my opinion) for

a variety of reasons. Later on, if the relationship

endures, the parents can quite easily have the child's name changed by

filing a petition in the local circuit court entitled "Name Change

for a Minor Child". The petition is available at some clerk of court offices

or online in a packet of forms with instructions and one does not require

the services of an attorney to do it.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/13, 8:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now